Friday, January 16, 2015

Oral Family History - Use it or Lose it

I was listening to the Friday keynote from RootsTech 2014. Specifically, Judy Russell's segment on oral family histories.  The Legal Genealogist stated a sad fact about oral family histories:

Oral family history can be lost in three generations

Three generations.  That's all it takes to lose bits of family lore.  Three generations to not accurately and purposefully pass down family stories.

Part of my overall genealogy project for 2015 is to transcribe the interviews I've already held, as well as continue interviewing family.  Watching Russell's segment from RootsTech 2014 just makes my project all the more important in my mind.

I've spent some time looking for good sets of interview questions.  StoryCorps' Great Questions, FamilySearch's 52 Questions in 52 Weeks, and FamilySearch's Creating Oral Histories: Open-Ended Questions are all good starting places.

This could be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment